Monday, July 24, 2017

Lunch at Crater Lake Lodge

Crater Lake National Park
Oregon



Of course I knew there would be no vacancies, but I asked anyway.  "How about next summer?" I joked.  "Sure.  I can do that."

  I laughed.  "I think I'll just have lunch here instead."

I've learned that you need to book ahead a solid year for a room at these charming old hotels in the national parks, but seriously, who can plan that far ahead?  Three months out is the most I can plan.  There are too many obstacles and uncertainties in my life to commit to anything beyond that.


But no reservations are needed for lunch so that's exactly what we did.  We put our names in and were thrilled the wait would only be a half hour.  There was complimentary coffee in the lounge and an inviting deck outside, complete with rocking chairs and a glorious view of the blue, blue lake 1,000 feet below.

Our names were actually called before the half hour was up and we were seated at a table by a window.  Sometimes serendipity pays off and this day it did.  Our waitress was quite the comedian, but attentive to our every need.  I ordered the Stacked Seafood salad and it was so beautiful (as well as tasty) that I snapped a photo.  Hmmm.  Maybe there's an instagrammer in me yet.
I have no complaints.  Sure, I would have loved to have gone upstairs to a rustic room and taken a nap.  Come down again for dinner.  Then watch the sunset out on the deck with a snifter of brandy in my hands.



Oh, what the heck.  I'm booking a room for 2018!











No comments:

Post a Comment