Sunday, July 16, 2017

Dorena Lake Covered Bridge Tour

I tell you, the road around Dorena Lake near Cottage Grove, Oregon, is straight out of a Norman Rockwell painting.  Lately, I've been in need of a good old-fashioned slice of apple pie and I found it here. For one glorious hour, I left 2017 behind.  I entered a bucolic world where kids still spend their summer days in swimming holes, where teenagers experience the rapture of furtive kisses under a covered bridge and where old men fish by the river's edge, not caring one iota whether something bites or not.

Currin Bridge


My tour began with this bridge on the north shore of the lake.  It was built in 1925 and has white portals and barn-red sides.  It spans the Row River.





Dorena Bridge


This beautiful bridge on the far end of Dorena Lake was my favorite.  I loved the louvered windows and the kids swimming beneath it.  I wanted to jump in myself.



Stewart Bridge

On the south shore of the lake sits Stewart Bridge which is only 60 feet long and spans the Mosby Creek.  It was built in 1930 and beginning to show some wear and tear.  Even so . . .it is so pretty and quaint that it made me wonder if I had stumbled across a movie set.


 Mosby Creek Bridge
This bridge is the oldest.  Built in 1920 and 90 feet long, you can still drive through it and that's exactly what we did.  Six times!


 

Besides the covered bridges, Dorena Lake is surrounded by wildflowers.  I tried hard to stretch my hour into two, but my travel buddy was getting impatient.  We had people to see and places to go.  So back on busy Interstate 5 we went.  Back into 2017 where time does not stand still but whizzes by with the ferocity of a tempest.

But you know what?  That night at a restaurant in Ashland,  I had my slice of apple pie.










No comments:

Post a Comment