Friday, July 28, 2017

Beyond Multnomah Falls

Exploring the Columbia River Gorge




Multnomah Falls is thee quintessential waterfall in the Columbia River Gorge.  Beautiful, yes.  Crowded, double yes.  Even so, this is the first place we take our out-of-town guests.  It never fails to impress.  Plus, there's a very good restaurant with a well-stocked bar adjacent to the waterfall that makes a nice outing but . . . .

what lies beyond?  And above?  I mean . . . when you've seen this waterfall a zillion times, you start to wonder. Well, a few weeks ago, I found out.
I huffed and puffed my way to the top of the falls, but wasn't that impressed.  All I could see were the hundreds of tourists below and a few cascading steps of the biggie that can't be seen from below,  but wait . . .

there's more.

A trail continues up, a trail I never even knew existed.  Off we went, my husband, my son and I--off into unexplored territory . . . and

 OMG, there is a whole different world up here, beyond Multonmah.


It is tourist-free, for one thing.   And absolutely gorgeous.  Not only is it a fun trail to hike, but there are numerous waterfalls . . . so many that I lost count.



The various trails are signed up here, but even so, we ran into a few hikers who were lost and had to point them in the right direction.  We turned right at Wahkeena Trail #420 and walked roughly a mile before starting the downhill hike.  The entire loop is about five miles, but I implore you to make the effort if you have the time and the stamina.  

My reward, upon our return, was a big fat hamburger and a chilled lager at the Multnomah Falls Lodge.  I didn't even mind all the tourists.  I had just spent three hours in a world of extreme beauty that very few people were aware even existed. 

There's so much more to see beyond and above Multonmah Falls.

Who knew?
Another Columbia Gorge iconic falls-Wahkeena









No comments:

Post a Comment