Monday, May 8, 2017

Yellow Bells

Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest








The slopes around the eastern Columbia River Gorge are covered with these diminutive bell-shaped flowers.  They are so tiny that they can get lost among the wild stalks of green grass.  The more I focused on them, however, the more enchanted I became.  I don't mean to get all sappy, but I swear these tiny beauties belong to another world like Middle-earth, Narnia or the Mushroom Kingdom.

Look closer and they come in a variety of shades from yellow to orange to deep red.  Here in the Pacific Northwest, they are known as Yellow Bells (Fritillaria pudica).  They are native to the area and thrive in eastern Oregon and Washington this time of year.

Okay, so what's so wrong with enchantment anyway?  (I ask myself.)   And dreaming about travel to a Faerie World?

Absolutely nothing.  


Go ahead.
Dream Away.






1 comment:

  1. Marea , I have learnt something today I had no idea that Fritallaria's were native to Oregon. I have admired these plants at garden stalls over the years, they do remind me of Fairy hats. Such a beautiful area,

    ReplyDelete