Monday, May 15, 2017

The Flower Choked Memaloose Hills

Exploring the Pacific Northwest








While walking through these vast fields of yellow balsamroot and purple lupine, that scene from the Wizard of Oz kept popping into my mind--where Dorothy and the Gang have to walk through a field of poppies before getting to the Emerald City.  All of a sudden the wildflowers in the Columbia River Gorge are so abundant it seems unreal.  I am living inside a movie set.  I've never seen anything like it in all my long long life.
The Memaloose Hills Trail can be found opposite the Memaloose Overlook on Old Route 30 between Mosier and The Dalles, Oregon.  Because of its popularity this time of year, I recommend going early on a weekday because there aren't very many parking spaces.  A 3-mile loop will take you up and down some gentle slopes, making this hike an easy one.  I loved that I ran into a man on crutches.  A broken leg was not going to stop him from experiencing this Springtime Extravaganza.  I also had to step over many other photographer hobbyists who were sprawled across the path trying to get that gorgeous National Geographic macro shot.

An easy task to accomplish in this movie set landscape.









2 comments:

  1. WOW - that is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! Yes, it does look like a set. This is a place that would make one happy to be alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sight these flowers are in their natural setting , a photographer's dream- I can see why you are smitten.

    ReplyDelete