Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Ballhead Waterleaf

Wildflowers of the Pacific Northwest





An odd wildflower with an even odder name, these little orbs of fluff remind me of the dried seed heads of a dandelion.  On the trail up to Tom McCall Point, they were clustered among prettier and showier flowers, but their oddity stopped me in my tracks.  I started to admire their robustness and their singular determination to stand out.

The Ballhead Waterleaf (Hydrophyllum capitutum) is another native wildflower of Oregon and grows on the moist slopes of the Columbia River Gorge.  The color of the flower ranges from pale blue to lilac.

The diversity and abundance of wildflowers continues to keep me entranced throughout this spring season. (And on a side note:  Because I'm out hiking every single day in search of these little wonders, I'm losing weight.  Hmm..  The Wildflower Diet.  I might be onto something here. )











No comments:

Post a Comment