Monday, February 27, 2017

Cross Country Skiing 101

Can you teach an old dog new tricks?







Day 1:

I hadn't been on cross country skis for 25 years.  The equipment, I was told, had vastly improved.  Yeah, right.  I felt awkward.  Clumsy.  Way out of my comfort zone.  But I persevered (in order to save my marriage.)  I promised my travel buddy I would give it a try.  Snow-shoeing was too boring for him.  Downhill was way way way too scary for me.  Cross Country was our compromise.

I got the kick and glide down that first day, but it was the uphill climbs that did me in.  No matter how much I dug those metal edges into the snow on those herringbone steps, I ended up going backwards and falling.

So I took the damn skis off and walked up.



Day 2:

We realized that we had gone on an intermediate trail the first day.  I felt a little better.  No wonder I was having such a hard time.  So the second day we made sure we were on an easy beginner trail.  The climb was not steep, but it was steady.  Up, up, up, we went.  Which meant, down, down, down, on the way back.  Gulp.
I started out okay.  A nice and easy snow plow, but then my speed started to increase.  My skis went all cattywampus and down I went.

"But you fell in snow," my travel buddy said.  "It doesn't hurt.  Just keep trying.  You can do it."

Yeah, right.  I took off my skis and walked down.


Day 3:

My travel buddy did some scouting and returned to the lodge to tell me he had found the perfect trail.  A nice level loop with amazing scenery.

Finally!  Yeah, I can do this!  I was skiing.  Going up.  Going down.  And no falling.  The only thing was, this trail was so BEAUTIFUL I kept stopping to take pictures.  I went around once.  My buddy kept going.  Literally skiing circles around me.
"Come on," he urged.  "Let's go around again.  You're doing great!"

"You go," I said.  "I'll catch up."

When he was out of sight, I took the damn skis off and walked.



Day 4:

We rented snow shoes.

And I had the BEST day ever.


So the moral of this story is:  Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks.  Only the "old dog" wasn't me; it was him. I taught my husband patience.  And acceptance. (He even laughed about it, imagine that!)

From now on, he'll go downhill skiing and I'll go snow shoeing.  We will meet for drinks at the end of the day.

 We will live happily ever after.







1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed your skiing adventures , although I am not a skier.My one and only skiing endeavour ended when a pole and I collided. My husband is a skier, to each their own.

    ReplyDelete