Thursday, January 26, 2017

Views from the Space Needle

American Icons




Architectural icons.  It seems we either love 'em or hate 'em.  The Eiffel Tower.  Big Ben.  The Statue of Liberty.  The Leaning Tower of Pisa,  And the Space Needle.  They all symbolize the city in which they are located.

Frankly, I like the Space Needle.  For one thing it was inspired by a very sensuous sculpture, "Feminine One," by David Lemon.  It is an abstract depiction of a dancer in motion.  There are, however, many locals who think the needle is ugly and liken it to a "rank weed."
The Space Needle was constructed in 1961 for the World's Fair, which was held in Seattle a year later.  From start to finish, it took only six months to build.  This fact unnerved me a bit as I rode the elevator up to the observation deck, but I was assured it was structurally sound, built to withstand 200 mph winds and a 9.1 earthquake.

Once at the top, my fears abated.  The views were amazing.  The views are what I came to see.
There's a a mini-museum and a gift shop on the ground floor and a rotating restaurant just below the observation deck.  I was tempted to buy a Space Needle pepper grinder, but I resisted.  Icons are monumental, but their miniature replicas always end up in the Goodwill bin.

Photographs are the way to go.

Photographs make perfect souvenirs.






3 comments:

  1. Are you in Seattle now, Marea? If so, would you like to meet up? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalia, thanks for stopping by. I am back in Oregon now, but hopefully will be going to Seattle again next summer to visit the San Juan Islands and see the Orcas. I would love to meet up with you then!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, just drop me a line when you plan to be in the area! I know lots of places that only locals know - off the usual tourist route, but still pretty amazing. My email is inthewriterscloset @ gmail.com.

      Delete