Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Snowshoeing at Cooper Spur

Exploring the Pacific Northwest








This little mountain resort in Mt. Hood National Forest has something for everyone this time of year:  Downhill skiing, Nordic skiing and snowshoeing.  Because the slopes aren't particularly steep or the runs long, it is a great place for beginners.  Nordic trails are well groomed and the surrounding forest is a wonderland of snow sculptures and isolated beauty that a nature lover like me can't get enough of.

During the holidays, my sons hit the slopes and my travel buddy and I trekked through the forest with snowshoes strapped to our boots.  As I write this, we are planning another trip for this Friday--only this time I will go solo.  As one fellow snowshoe enthusiast told me, "You can't get lost up here.  It's a small world," which makes me feel more confident going it alone.  While my husband and son downhill ski, I will be chasing rabbit prints through the snow.

Oh . . . and then warming up at the tavern with a Pinot Noir and a plate of bacon bourbon bombs.




 January in the Oregon Cascades has its amenities!











1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year, Marea! What a gorgeous scenery. It does bring back memories of home - lots of snow, tall pine trees (my hometown name can be translated as Pine Forest Town) and of course skiing! All the very best to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete