Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Refugio Ranch Tasting Room

100 California Wineries





I haven't added a post to my "Blog within a Blog" lately for the simple reason I moved out of California.  Last week, however, I went back and wine tasting with my California family was the Number One item on my agenda.  Los Olivos, a town just over the mountains from Santa Barbara, is now famous for its many wine tasting rooms.  We visited three of them (my limit), but the Refugio Ranch wines were exceptionally good so I wanted to write about them.
The tasting included three whites and three reds:  Sauvignon Blanc, a Roussanne/Viognier blend,  Roussanne, Syrah, Petite Syrah and a Syrah/Petite Syrah blend.  I ended up buying the white blend and the Syrah for gifts to take to friends during the week.
Owners Kevin and Niki Gleason purchased the historic Refugio Ranch in the Santa Ynez Valley in 2004.  The Santa Ynez River passes through their property so the soil is rich with clay, silt and sand.  This alluvium quality of the earth combined with the ocean breezes, make the ranch a perfect spot for growing the Rhone varietals the winery is now famous for.  I adored the Roussanne/Viognier blend, but the Syrahs were deep, rich and flavorful--paired with a good grilled steak--absolute perfection.














1 comment:

  1. Wine tasting is always a pleasant way to while away some time and this looks so welcoming and laid back. So many of our wineries are so stark and modern , all well and good but lacking in any atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete