Friday, December 2, 2016

My Rowena Plateau

Exploring the Pacific Northwest





I know.  I know.  It's not really my Rowena Plateau, but this time of year it feels that way.   The eastern portion of the Columbia River Gorge does not get the traffic that her wetter, more forested sister gets to the west.  The parking lot at Multnomah Falls is still packed, but my car is the only one at Rowena Crest.
The plateau is cold and raw and windy this time of year.  The wildflowers are gone, but the grass is green and Mt. Hood's top hat is covered in snow.

The trail out to the Columbia River is one I walk on a weekly basis.  It's fairly level and only a little over two miles out and back, but it never fails to lift my spirits.  The basalt cliffs, the scrub oaks, the rock formations and the mighty river are all components of a breathtaking landscape.
The plateau is located off old scenic highway 30 between Mosier and The Dalles, Oregon.  It is part of the Tom McCall Nature Preserve and is owned by the Nature Conservancy, a non-profit organization that buys ecologically sensitive land for the benefit of us all.

So . . . okay . . . it's our Rowena Plateau, not mine.  Even though, at times, it feels that way.












2 comments:

  1. Wow! I always love a good pathway photo. I would looove to walk that trail with you. Enjoy your luxury! xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I have a proprietary feeling about all my favourite places too.

    ReplyDelete