Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Waylaid in Kintamani

Sooner or later it was bound to happen:  Getting sick on a trip.

My travel buddy and I came down with a weird virus in Bali that waylaid us for two days.  We had been looking forward to the cooler, higher elevations around Mount Batur, but once we got there all we could do was crawl into bed.


It nearly killed us to watch the trekkers climbing down from the volcano.  We had planned to do a lot of hiking here.  Didn't happen.

On the second day we were able to soak in the hot springs and eat a little white rice.

On the third day our driver returned to take us to our next destination in West Bali.  We didn't mind one bit sitting in a car for four hours.  We were weak as kittens.

Our wonderful driver took the scenic route through the highlands.  We stopped at the viewpoints overlooking Lake Braton, Lake Buyan and Lake Tamblingan.  We drove through picturesque villages and coffee plantations.  He kept asking us, "Would you like to stop here for awhile?  Would you like something to eat?"  But all we could do was shake our heads and urge him on. 

We made the best of a bad situation.  Fortunately, we recovered and were able to enjoy the remainder of the trip.  Getting waylaid happens now and again.  I'm thankful we didn't allow it to get us down.  Every traveler must pack a fatalistic attitude.  Things don't always go right.  All you can do is shrug your shoulders and carry on.

Tomorrow is another day.  









Footnote:
I will probably delete this footnote in a couple of days, but as I write this post I have once again been waylaid. Big time.  Not by illness but by the presidential election results.  I don't understand what happened.  I don't understand my own country.







1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your photos of your drive through West Bali. Sorry you were ill with Bali Belly (as known here)and from what I know from fellow travellers to Bali very common.
    As an Australian I can only imagine how you are feeling after the election result. There will be repercussions from this world wide.

    ReplyDelete