Sunday, November 20, 2016

Breakfast at Cousins

Favorite Pit Stops




By the time the shock wave hit the west coast, it had reached an intensity of 8.9 on the Richter scale.  We were more than rattled; we were shaken to the core.  The Donald had won.

I needed starch.

I needed Cousins.
Cousins, a restaurant in The Dalles, Oregon, is all about comfort food.  I discovered this place a year ago.  The monster cinnamon rolls, big slabs of meatloaf, homemade pie and buttermilk biscuits all took me back to my roots--that red red state of Kansas.  Cozy tables and booths surround a full-size green Deere tractor.

My son pointed out the irony.  "And this place is making you feel better why?"
But you know, there's something about comfort food . . . it really does help.  I ate my bacon, eggs, potatoes and biscuits like I hadn't eaten in days.  My grief diminished a bit.  At least, I was no longer numb.  Or hungry!

Now I'm just depressed.  I fear it's going to take a lot more meals at Cousins before I reach that next step: Acceptance.



 . . . if ever.










2 comments:

  1. I love the tractor in there.
    Carbs and coffee and sugar are my go-to foods too. Especially when served for breakfast. That was a quadruple syrup event, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with a need for comfort food , hope it helps to numb the pain. This does look like a fun place for sure, nothing like a return to our roots.

    ReplyDelete