Friday, September 2, 2016

A Panoramic Point

One of my favorite things to do in this neck of the woods is to grab a cup of coffee in Hood River and then drive up to Panorama Point for a mid-morning break.

I wonder how many such places in the world are named "Panorama Point"?  A hundred?  A thousand?  More?  Wouldn't that make a great guidebook?  It would be a lifelong journey, that's for sure.  To travel to all of them and self-publish one giant coffee table tome:  One Thousand Panoramic Points to See Before you Die.  (Okay . . . maybe I'll have to come up with a different title.  This may have already been taken!)

Forgive me for wandering, but that's what you do with a cup of coffee and an inspirational view in front of you.  I can't help but be envious of the two extreme birders I read about in The Washington Post.  They are competing for the record of who can see the most species of birds in North America in one year.  They have been criss-crossing the continent in their quest.  It takes time, money and stamina.

Sigh.

My travel buddy always says the same thing when we come up to this particular Panorama Point.  "I'm going to climb that thing some day." (That thing being Mt. Hood.)

And me?  I keep silent.  Climbing mountains isn't a goal, but seeing all 59 National Parks is.  I tally up the ones I've visited and make plans to add more.  I, too, want to criss-cross the continent to bag them all.  Only not today.  Today, I'm too busy drinking coffee.  And soaking up the view.








No comments:

Post a Comment