Wednesday, August 31, 2016

An Apple a Day Keeps the Fat Away

We went a little crazy Sunday afternoon.  The orchards behind Hood River, Oregon are full of juicy, ripe apples and pears this time of year.  Although it's just the two of us now, we returned home with several bags of fruit from the farm stands.  Needless to say I am baking a lot this week:  Apple pie, an almond pear tart and as I write this post, a big pot of applesauce is simmering on the stove.

I always knew there was a "foodie" inside me somewhere.  It took a move to Oregon to coax it out.  People love to talk about food around here.  The search for delicious, wholesome organic food is now on my agenda.  I have a source for eggs, wine, salmon and fruit.  I've been sworn to secrecy on where to find wild mushrooms and huckleberries.  And miracle of miracles, I am now baking my own bread.  (To be slathered with applesauce for my breakfast tomorrow.)

 


Mimi was a little horrified when I jokingly commented, "Maybe I should change the focus of my blog to traveling the world in search of delicious food.  I mean, really . . . we have enough clothes now to fill three closets.  I don't need any more clothes."

"Yeah and you'll get so fat you won't be able to wear any of them."

Ouch.

I've gained about fifteen pounds this past year and I'm struggling to get that weight off.  The truth is, there are many clothes in my closet I can't wear because of the weight gain.  I've tried a few different diets this summer, but I can never seem to stick to them; they're just SO BORING.

But I have succeeded in getting thin before, and I am determined to get there again.  I know what I have to do.  I have to cook more.  The more I cook, the thinner I get.

It sounds counterintuitive, but it's true.
  Going from farm stand to farm stand is an all day affair.  Rather than mindlessly throwing boxes of processed food into my shopping cart,  I buy fresh, seasonal produce along a 35-mile route.  I go home and create recipes around what I found.

I shop slow.  Cook slow.  And eat slow.

This is the trick to getting thin.

"And then you'll buy more clothes?" Mimi asked (hopefully).

I nodded.  I don't even have to change the focus of my blog.  My wanderlust will lead me down the back roads of Hood River County.  My wanderlust will get me thin again.



  And then I'll buy more clothes.






1 comment:

  1. Enjoy those apples and pears, they look superb.I must admit to now looking forward to the fruits and vegetables as we enter Spring and Summer. You are right that is the key eating seasonal local produce.Good luck with the weight loss, something I find seems to get harder as years pass. Mimi is as ever hopeful on the clothing front. Enjoy your Fall.

    ReplyDelete