Sunday, August 21, 2016

A Gauzy Cover-Up

After my dermatologist zapped yet another suspicious red spot off my back, I now heed her advice whenever I go out in the merciless skin-cancer inducing sun.  I rub my skin with sunscreen.  I grab a hat.  And I cover up.

This summer my beach cover-up is doing double duty.
I can't help but compare this outfit to the abaya I wore in Saudi Arabia when I lived there.  Although I'm a full-blooded First Amendment Anything Goes kind of gal, I admit there were benefits to wearing the darn thing, especially on hot, shamal driven days.  It protected me from the sun, the wind, sand and pesky insects.  Therefore, I often play devil's advocate when I'm involved in the debate:  Should the burqa be banned?

One thing I know for sure:  My Muslim sisters never get zapped by a dermatologist.














Sharing with Visible Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Voluntary burqa sounds good to me - I also use sunscreen that works on the face of the sun. But I wouldn't care for being forced to wear one. You look terrific, and sun-smart too, xo

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gauzy coverup just perfect for keeping the sun offfu and looking good at the same time. Australia has one of the highest incidences of skin cancer so covering up is always prudent.Here wearing the burqua is a choice women make themselves .

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an experienced world traveler, or rather world citizen! I love your gauzy layers, Marea! I get burned too easily with my fair skin, so covering up and using sunscreen is always a good idea for me, though I rarely spend lots of time in the sun anyway.

    Thank you for your wonderful comment on my last post! I am looking forward to your videos! I just add them from my Youtube channel - it's a fairly easy process. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer.

    ReplyDelete