Friday, July 15, 2016

Lunch at Lambeau Field

I'm not a sports enthusiast, but whenever I visit my family I get caught up in their fervor.  In Kansas City, I bought a Royals t-shirt and wore it nonstop.  In Green Bay, my travel buddy's uncle gave me a Green Bay Packer's cap.  I wore it the whole time I was there and fit right in.

On our last day in Green Bay, he took us to the famous Lambeau stadium for lunch at the 1919 Kitchen and Tap restaurant.  I rarely order hamburgers, but there was one on the menu I couldn't resist.  With havarti, sauerkraut and bacon.  Yum!!  And a Miller Lite, of course.

Over lunch, Uncle entertained us with Green Bay Packer stories.  He talked about the great late Vince Lombardi, the history of the stadium and the pride the city has in ownership.  But what captured my interest the most was his description of the pre-game tailgate parties.  Everyone comes early and sets up folding tables and chairs.  The cold, frigid air soon warms with the smoke of grilled ribs, brats and barbecue chicken.  It's a slice of Americana I have yet to experience.

 



 As we drove out of town, I made a decision.  "I want to come back next Fall and go to a Packer's game."

My travel buddy raised an eyebrow.  "You're kidding, right?"

But I was dead serious.

"It's all about the food, babe.  It's all about the food."











No comments:

Post a Comment