Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Shopping in Sausalito

We have learned over the years to split up at times.  Traveling together 24/7 can test any marriage so when we find ourselves in a charming little town and I'm going east (to the stores!) and he's going west (to the boats!) we wisely agree to part ways.  In Sausalito, California, a lovely town on the north end of San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, we did just that.
When we met later that day at a coffee shop and I walked in wearing this colorful fedora, he laughed so loud a few customers turned around to see what was up.

"I knew it," he said.  "So much for frugality."

"It was on sale," I defended myself.  "And it's darn cute."

He continued laughing so in a way, I made him happy, too.  "I guess your search for beautiful clothes is back on?"

I grinned sheepishly.
  Although I went into many shops that day and tried on many many outfits, I only bought this one hat.  So I have changed.  I am very much aware these days how much I can spend.  But shopping is more than just buying.  For me, it is a chance to BREATHE--to be totally and one hundred percent myself.  I can look at whatever I want to look at. I can talk to the staff in the stores about clothes and girl stuff or I can say nothing at all.  Just Be.

And after shopping, I can wander around the town and smell the roses.  Get lost down narrow streets and, yes, look at the boats.  But all on my own terms and in my own sweet time.

I am, after all, a traveler, a writer and a dreamer.  And shopping is a time for dreaming.  One hat at a time.















No comments:

Post a Comment