Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Romantic Timberline Lodge

It's no wonder this old lodge on the south slope of Mt. Hood in Oregon is a popular venue for weddings.  It must be one of the most romantic hotels on earth. Last Sunday as I bundled up in my ski parka and boots, I watched several young women in strapless gowns dashing through the snow.  If ever my travel buddy and I renew our vows, it's going to be here.
 
It's nice to know that after 38 years of marriage, we can still find romance in our lives.  But then again, how can you not with a winter wonderland outside and a roaring fire blazing within?  A gourmet dinner in the Cascade Dining Room.  Cognac in the Blue Ox Bar.  A soft bed with a fluffy duvet and a colorful Pendleton blanket.

Oh, yes.  

I love this old hotel.  I love the gremlins in the pipes.  I love the ghosts that walk the dark, narrow hallways.  I love the St. Bernard puppy, the wooden stairs, the artwork, the massive fireplace and cupboards filled with old books.

Timberline was built in 1937 and is now a National Historic Landmark.  Of course, its 6,000 ft. location with the soaring peak of Mt. Hood behind it, makes it breathtakingly beautiful, as well.

The next morning after a big buffet breakfast, my husband went skiing in the blizzard.  I stayed by the fire with a good book.

  And we both couldn't have had a more glorious day.







Although with white-out conditions at the lodge, we never really saw the mountain in its entirety until our drive home.











3 comments:

  1. What a breathtakingly beautiful place. And romantic. I have to say it reminds me of the Overlook Hotel from the Shining. Hahaha. Which of course for me would add to the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what? The Timberline was in fact used for those exterior shots of the fictional Overlook Hotel!!!!!

      Delete
  2. How absolutely beautiful! There is just something about a cozy lodge in the middle of a snowstorm. I love that toasty smell when you come in from the cold. Nice.

    ReplyDelete