Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Mosier Plateau


Over the holidays I had several friends and family members back in California ask me, "How are you surviving?" (I have a suspicion many of them thought we wouldn't make it through an Oregon winter.)

  The truth is, I honestly didn't know myself.

Cabin fever is very real.  I've had a few depressing days when I thought I would go absolutely crazy if the cold snap didn't break or the rain wouldn't stop.  But then I toughened up.  I can hike in the rain.  I can even hike in the snow.  Twenty degrees outside?  Put on another layer.  It's as simple as that.

I think I'm here to stay.  For one thing, winter is very quiet.  The tourists are gone.  I can find a parking space whenever I go into town!

But it's the winter landscape I have fallen in love with.  The soft powdery snow.  The ice cycles and frozen waterfalls.   Whenever I  walk up to the Mosier Plateau, I feel like I'm inside a Turner landscape.  It is so beautiful it seems surreal.
  
The trailhead of this 3.5 mile walk isn't far from where I live.  This fact alone makes me realize the decision to move here was the right one.  I can take a walk on a whim.  Even at night with a flashlight!  

Only a short way up is a spectacular waterfall and then the trail continues with a series of switchbacks and stairs that take you to the top where an unsurpassed view of the Columbia River Gorge is your reward.  Sometimes I go back the way I came.  Sometimes I continue the loop which takes me across the plateau and then down onto Highway 30 for a short walk back.

I'm in no rush for winter to end.  So, yes, folks, I guess I'm surviving.
















7 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your sentiments on the winter - we don't really how we'll fare either, so we look to you as a test case. Lovely pictures!

    Alex and Deborah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be fine! Wishing you well and see you soon.

      Delete
  2. Yup, that's the definition of thriving. I'm glad you're enjoying your place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photographs are so beautiful. I have so really and truly missed winter since we moved to California that my heart aches. I've been thinking a lot lately about moving north. Perhaps to Oregon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so happy with our decision, Connie. Although there are things I miss about California, I haven't been so contented in a long long time. It just got too crazy down there, you know?

      Delete
  4. Beautiful landscape, I can see why you are smitten. Glad you are not only surviving the cold but revelling in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely. A sprinkling of icing on the cake!
    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete