Friday, January 22, 2016

Bavarian Ice Festival AM

We woke up Sunday morning to blizzard conditions.  So what do you do when it's freezing cold outside and snowing?  You shop!
In the shops of Leavenworth, Washington, were nutcrackers, gorgeous clothes and Radko Christmas Ornaments.  All on sale!  So after a brief walk through town to check out the ice sculptures, trampoline jumping and dog sledding, we hit the stores.

Only . . . a funny thing happened.

There were two young men walking in front of me and I overheard one of them say:
"Why spend money when you don't have to spend money."

I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to my travel buddy.  "Did you hear that?"

He nodded.

"I don't really need another nutcracker, do I?"

He shook his head.

"Or another sweater.  Or another Christmas tree ornament."

That simple little truism uttered by that young man hit me hard.  Hammer head hard.  I had found my New Year's Resolution.

And so I took pictures of those nutcrackers I adored and of that sweater I coveted and those oh so beautiful Radko ornaments, but I didn't buy a single one.  I bought absolutely nothing.  Because this time next year my travel buddy will be retired and our income will be cut in half.  I need to learn to stop spending money.  Beginning now.


We want to continue traveling so we will have to spend money on hotel rooms and food.  But not for clothes and gadgets and books and expensive bottles of wine.  Those days are going to be over.

But window shopping is free.  And so is walking and looking and enjoying nature.  There is so much to see and do that doesn't cost a dime.  So thank you, dude, whoever you are, for setting me straight.

Why spend money when you don't have to spend money.




My search for beautiful clothes is officially over.  And you know what?  I'm okay with it.  I really am.













6 comments:

  1. Oh wow!
    But in a way, great freedom as well.
    Amazing where inspration can strike. And he'll never know how life changing his idle comment was.
    How many of our idle comments have been so construed...for good ...or ill.
    Makes you think!
    Just gorgeous window shopping.
    Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. You hit it on the nail. There is a delicious freedom in letting go of possessions and realizing you can live a full and enriching life without "things". Mimi's not too happy about it, but she'll get over it!!!

      Delete
  2. Wise words from that young man. Liberating. Mimi will have to have fun now shopping your own closet. A homeless man walked past me the other day, muttering to himself, and he said, "You only get what you ask for." ! It was my answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post. I've been pondering the very same thing. I think there has come a time in my own life where I care less about fashion and more about one signature style and comfort. It's so easy that way.
    Hello from Seattle!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie and Joni. I think I'm going to have to delete those words"in search of beautiful clothes" in my blog heading. I can't believe how happy I am in my decision to let this whole fashion obsession GO!

      Delete
  4. I do believe there comes a point in our lives that acquiring things is no longer important . I must admit I still enjoy shopping but these days more to enjoy browsing and appreciating the goods than purchasing them.I agree with Melanie , Mimi will have so much fun exploring the closet and finding lost gems.

    ReplyDelete