Monday, December 14, 2015

Free Trip to the Emirates

Every week my mail box gets crammed with sweepstakes to exotic locales.  As a traveler on a budget, how can I resist?  A week in Machu Picchu?  Click.  A cruise in the Caribbean? Click.  A safari in South Africa?  Click.  Click.  And double click.  But have I ever won?  NOPE.  All I get is more e-mails.  Yes, I can still go to Machu Picchu on a fantastic tour.  It will cost me only $6,000, and that doesn't include airfare.

So I stopped.

Until last week when another tantalizing sweepstakes popped up in my e-mail.  A free trip to Dubai, staying in a luxury hotel.  Click.

Why did I enter?  Because the Dubai of today is nothing (and I mean nothing!!) like the Dubai I visited in 1986.  Even the charming hotel I stayed at, The Chicago Beach, was demolished in 1997 to make way for a grander hotel on a scale I can only imagine.  It's hard for me to get a handle on the metamorphic changes.  It's only been 30 years, but from the photographs splashed across travel magazines and blogs, I do not recognize the place.  I want to see it for myself.

So with absolute confidence that I'm going to win this time, here are photographs of the Emirates of Yore.  Stay tuned for Part Two:  The Emirates of Today.








4 comments:

  1. Fascinating! Love those funny sand castles on the beach and the men in white robes. Looking forward to the next in the series. Hope you win! Fingers crossed! Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jazzy. It took us awhile to figure out those little castles were made by sand crabs. They were so shy.

      Delete
  2. Best of luck to you. Very interesting photos , my how things change. Will look forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill. Oh, I hope, I hope, I hope!

      Delete