Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Dalles Murals Project

Art in Public Places






The history of Oregon comes alive in these murals painted on the sides of the old buildings in downtown The Dalles.  This isn't the first time I've encountered such projects and I applaud the vision of local governments for using this method in promoting their towns.  I am proof that it works.  As I strolled down 2nd street, I took the time to read each and every description and to admire the artists' renditions of historical events.  And I shopped.  And shopped.
Granted, most such mural projects are instigated to boost the economy of a depressed business environment.  There were many vacant buildings and a lot of thrift stores, but tucked among these derelict storefronts were a few gems like Lines of Designs, a woman's boutique, and Klindt's, an independent bookstore.

It renews my determination to seek out these independent shops whenever I travel and to avoid cookie cutter malls with the same old same old.

SHOP MAIN STREET

THE CAMPAIGN BEGINS



1 comment: