Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Shopping for Puffers in the Rain

Exploring Portland



I couldn't put it off any longer.  The temps are dropping fast and all I have for warmth is a hand-me-down ski jacket and and a long vintage coat.  Both of them are old, stained and quirky.  Though I love them (to death), it's time for a new look.  Well, it didn't take me long to observe what the women in Oregon wear in cold weather:  Puffer coats.

So off I went to Portland last weekend to find one.  In the pouring rain.
  I tried on short yellow puffers, long black puffers, purple puffer vests, short puffer skirts (yep, really!) but when I looked in the mirror, all I saw was a big blobby marshmallow.  Why didn't I look like Mimi's friends?  They were all so cute.  Had I really put on that much weight?

"What are you talking about?" my exasperated travel buddy said after I had looked at every single puffer coat in downtown Portland.  "You look fine."



I was close to tears and exhaustion by this time.  All I wanted was an Irish Whiskey.  Screw this shopping in the rain.  Not fun.  Not fun at all.

And then , , , and then . . . there it was.  The Star over Bethlehem.  Across the street from North Face.  Yellow and turquoise rainboots shining brightly in the store window of Rachelle M. -  Rustic House of Fashion.

 Not a puffer coat in sight.


  Mimi wears my purchase.  Not exactly super warm, but warm enough to get me through the next month or two.  It's reversible.  And soft.  And gorgeous.  I feel like me in this jacket.  Me.  A little lamb.  Not a big burly bear.

Don't know what I'm going to wear when it's below freezing outside.  But one thing's for sure.  It ain't gonna be a puffer.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. This really captures the damp yet green spirit of the Pacific Northwest. Sooooo homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dreaded puffer coat. I had a maxi feather puffer in hot pink and even the colour didn't help much. What you bought is excellent. Layers and more layers will get you by, plus silk or other light long johns designed for cold as a base layer. And a good umbrella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I can't see you in a puffer jacket, I think your purchase is much more you. Lots of layers as Melanie suggests sound like a fine idea.

    ReplyDelete