Monday, November 9, 2015

A Mexico City Campus

World Heritage Sites



As I continue documenting the World Heritage Sites I have visited, it occurs to me that I have been missing a huge opportunity when I travel.  I forget that college campuses often have excellent art museums, outdoor sculptures and beautiful buildings, old and new.  From now on, I'm going to make it a point to tour these campuses as part of my travel itinerary.

The Central University City Campus of the Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico is a case in point.  The buildings, sports facilities and open spaces were built from 1949 to 1952 and are prime examples of twentieth-century modernism.  The tiled murals on the library building explode with color.  The scenes depict both ancient and modern events in Mexico's history.

I am happy the campus was added to the World Heritage List in 2007.  It honors the many architects, engineers and artists who worked together to create this exceptionally beautiful site.



The Library


No comments:

Post a Comment