Sunday, September 20, 2015

My Hieronymus Bosch Boots

I don't know how many times over the years I've wanted to buy a pair of Dr. Marten boots.  I've tried on dozens--from burgundy patent leather to little pink flowers to big bold checks, but I never actually made it all the way to the cashier's counter with any of them.   That nagging little doubt always prevented me from plunking down a credit card.  I'm too old.  I'd look silly.  I'd embarrass my sons.  They're too affected.  Blah.  Blah.  Blah.

Until I saw these babies in Portland last June.  It didn't matter that it was ninety degrees outside and that I wouldn't wear them for another few months.  I HAD TO HAVE THEM.  Not a single doubt in my mind.  Not this time.

The sales clerk saw my enthusiasm and immediately apologized.  "I'm sorry, but I don't want to get your hopes up.  There's only a few left in back.  What size do you wear?"

He returned, however, with a big grin.  Mine was even bigger.  "These boots are flying out the store," he said.  "I've already seen them on e-bay for twice the retail price."

The print is taken from a painting by that very weird 15th century Dutch artist, Hieronymous Bosch.  I recognized it immediately.  I love that painting.  That painting shocked me when I first saw it in the Museo del Prado in Madrid among all the pretty Madonnas and martyred saints.  It is, of course, the panel depicting Hell from The Garden of Earthly Delights, a triptych altarpiece, that 500 years later has become part of our pop culture.  That Bosch was a High Renaissance painter continues to baffle me to this day.  The painting is so modern.  So full of fantasy.  And so macabre!

 I wore these boots for the first time yesterday on a short two-mile hike to break them in.  I'm happy to report that my new Docs are comfortable, as well!  No doubts.  No regrets.

Well, okay, maybe a nightmare or two.  "Tree-Man" is out to get me!





Linking up with Patti and friends at Visible Monday.

7 comments:

  1. OMG, Bosch boots! I see why you had to have them and you look terrific. xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Bosch boots. That dude made some freaky paintings, which I love. I wonder what he was like in real life? I like that your decision was unequivocal. Great hiking attire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were meant to be yours, to help you be the classiest looking hiker out there! I wouldn't have hesitated either - they're beyond cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic boots , you were really just waiting for the right pair . Certainly the best dressed hiker I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwww, no kidding. I would've bought them too. Certainly never seen the Bosch ones before. The ultimate in coolness. I want some too. Guess I just have to wait until it's my time...
    Let me know how your shopping for fabric goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting that the print on your boots is from a painting. Your dress sense looks fun!

    ReplyDelete