Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Towboats and Barges

I'm trying to look as nautical as possible in order to catch the eye of a passing barge.  Stick my thumb out and hitch a ride up the river.
My fascination with the Mighty Columbia continues as I watch the towboats and barges ply the waters all day long.  This river is truly an artery of commerce.  Semi trucks and freight trains line the roads and tracks on either side and barges rule the water.  They are carrying goods to a nation whose consumption knows no end.  The barges are an integral link in the transport system between our continent and Asia.  Goods arriving from Japan and China are offloaded to barges at the ports of Portland and Vancouver. They carry some nasty stuff though:  petroleum products, sulfur, fertilizer and industrial chemicals.  Okay, maybe I don't really want to hitch a ride, after all.
  I've always called this boat a "tugboat" but have been corrected.  When these boats push barges, they are called "towboats".  Tugboats guide large ships in and out of a harbor.   Anyway, tugboat.  towboat, whatever . . . these guys are robust, let me tell ya.  They can tow tens of thousands of tons and push boats that are 500 times bigger than they are.
Well, I think I'll skip that ride on the Tidewater and wait until I'm in France to experience life on a barge.  Cruising lazily down those canals.with nothing more toxic than french roast coffee on board . . . now you're talking!





Linking up with Happiness at Midlife

4 comments:

  1. You look great! And you make me want to take a road trip along the Dalles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly dressed for a nautical adventure but I'm with you a barge in France sipping a nice wine sounds just right. Never the less your scenery is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this look, fun and balanced. The top is cute, and the cap, really suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the great layering and great photos!

    Thank you for joining TBT Fashion link up and hope to see you Thursday.

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete