Monday, July 13, 2015

Whale Watching Around the World

Any time I have the opportunity to go whale watching, I jump at the chance.  Before leaving Santa Barbara, I booked one last trip to see the the gray whales swimming north through the channel, but BUMMER of BUMMERS, the weather was uncooperative and the trip was cancelled.

Watching whales is one of my most favorite activities in the whole world.  As a travel/nature photographer (I know . . . I know . . .an amateur one!) I really wanted to try to shoot a whale breaching or jumping or something totally worthy of National Geographic.  My pictures of minke whales below just don't do it, but I'm posting them anyway.

Whales are simply awesome!

It just so happened that I also got an e-mail from Anna of Oz Whale Watching, a whale cruise agency from Sydney, on the very day my trip was cancelled.  She attached a fascinating article about humpback whales.  And so, in a way, I went whale watching after all!  Here are a few facts:


  • Humpbacks are huge.  They weigh between 25-40 tons.
  • They eat about 1.5 tons daily.
  • They feed in the summer and live off their fat in the winter.
  • They are very playful and are known for their flips, breaches and lobtails.
  • Their average lifespan is 45-50 years.
And the most fascinating:
  • The male humpback has a long and complex song that can be heard 20 miles away.  Each population has their own unique song which all the whales learn.  It is believed this song attracts females for mating.  Oh, how I would love to hear this song!
Please go to their website for more information.  I, for one, am totally hooked.  I want to see humpback whales even if I have to go all the way to Australia to see them.

In the meantime, I am planning another whale watching trip further north to see the Orcas.  So stay tuned.  Maybe next time my pictures will be better!



2 comments:

  1. I have never been whale watching but it is definately on my wish list.Hope you get to go again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to see what it is like to experience whale watching. And what great facts. I always knew they ate a lot, but 1.5 tons worth? I had never realized that. Great fact. And I really like the fact about the make humpback's song. I love how far away it can be heard!

    ReplyDelete