Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Mount Shasta Retreat

"When I first saw it, all my blood turned to wine,"
                                                        John Muir





When we pulled up to the Shasta Mountain Retreat and Spa, the owner immediately recognized he had two bone-weary guests on his hands.  We could barely make it up the stairs.  He showed us our room with the view of Mt. Shasta and gave us a very quick tour.  "Now, I suggest you get naked, put on those plushy bathrobes and have a soak," he said.

I cannot remember when I have been so pampered.  We did as instructed and after soaking in the hot tub and opening up a bottle of wine on the deck, we started to feel better.  We managed to walk into town for dinner, but then went to bed early.  We laughed when he told us breakfast would not be until nine a.m. (No early birds allowed here!)  "However, if you need to hit the road, I can make yours at 8:30."

We needed to slow down.  We needed to sleep.  Unwind.  Feel the magic that had disappeared from our lives.  And here we felt it once again.
Mt. Shasta symbolizes a new beginning in our lives.  For the next two years we will be living in the Cascade Mountains and Mt. Shasta is located at the southern end of this mountain range.  It looms above the surrounding area, alone and awesome.  It is the second highest Cascade peak, at 14,179 ft.  (Mt. Rainier, in Washington, is the highest.)

Potentially active, it will one day erupt like its sister in Oregon.  My travel buddy and I didn't speak much the night we stayed at this bed and breakfast.  With a view like this, no entertainment is needed.  We slept for ten solid hours.

I told the owner the next morning that his little Victorian farmhouse was better than any hospital for healing a broken spirit.  He continued to pamper us with a huge breakfast of blueberry pancakes, eggs, granola, yogurt and fruit.  There were only three other people staying there--a man from Scotland and a young couple from Oregon.  We sat and talked for an hour until one of us realized we had things to do and places to go.  Sigh.  I could have stayed here another two days!

Thank you, David.  You have a gem of a place!

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I just love that place! Another favorite is Crater Lake. Have you seen that yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crater Lake is definitely on my List. Oregon is so beautiful. I'm going to love living here!

      Delete
  2. A beautiful spot, must put this on a to visit wish list. I sincerely hope your move has gone as you hoped and you thoroughly enjoy your new home.

    ReplyDelete