Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Quiet Side of Ibiza

World Heritage Sites






I haven't posted much about my big move, but next week I will be saying good-bye to California and moving north to Oregon.  Although it's been hectic, part of the fun has been deciding what to take and what to toss.  Although I am shocked by what I have actually thrown away, my old travel journals will accompany me through life.  I came across the journal I kept in Ibiza, one of Spain's Balearic Islands, from a summer long long ago and found this entry:

There are moments in life when you wish you could make time stand still and the drive thru the countryside to the little village of San Agnes was such a time. The countryside was so unspoiled with stone fences along the terraced hills.  Trees.  Sheep.  Red soil.  The scent of pine and anise.  We stopped for cafe con leche.  I wish I could have stopped time.

I didn't know it then, but this blog was given birth in that entry.


Although in the 1980's Ibiza was the Wild Child of Europe, we sought out its quiet side.  We avoided the bars and restaurants and set out to find its isolated beauty.  I wrote that we went to a different beach every day and sometimes were the only ones there.  At night we avoided the bars and restaurants and retreated to our villa high on a hill to drink champagne and watch the sunset.  We were far too young to be so reclusive, but my journal is filled with happiness.  And peace.



I can't seem to give away my travel books either.  Although my 4th edition of World Heritage Sites is now unhinged with wear and tear, it will remain by my bedside for (hopefully) many years to come.  I was thrilled to see that Ibiza was added to the World Heritage List in 1999 for its biodiversity and culture.  It is rich in history, especially the Phoenician-Carthaginian period when it played a major economic role in the Mediterranean.  It still has its original medieval architecture.

Toured fascinating town of Eivissa today--the oldest walled medieval city in existence.  Had a good time walking along the ramparts and enjoying views--the sea, cliffs and town below.

Took a walk along the cliffs and breathed in the incredible beauty of barren rocks jutting out of the turquoise sea.  R. has gone swimming but water much too cold for me.  Even the air has a chill to it.

I was only 29 years old when I wrote the above entries.  It seems so strange.  I sometimes feel like I have nothing in common with my younger self, but my travel journals prove me wrong.

As I say good-bye to my past, I look forward to my future.  Good-bye Ibiza.  Good-bye Santa Barbara.  Hello Oregon.  Hello Places Not Yet Seen.

The search for magical moments continues.


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful place. Good luck on your move! It is so much work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joni. You got that right. I think I'm going to sleep for an entire week once I'm up there!

      Delete
  2. Ibizia looks simply beautiful. I agree that how ever long ago our travels are the thoughts and memories of that time last forever. All my best wishes as you open a new chapter, I hope the move goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you still find the connection between yourself today and yourself of yesterday through your travel journal. And your travels continue. Good luck with your move.
    Ibiza is beautiful. I would also have looked for the quiet corners.

    ReplyDelete