Friday, May 1, 2015

A Dressy Pillbox Hat

In January I wrote that I was not going to make any New Year's Resolutions this year EXCEPT one:  To buy more wonderful hats!

I have always loved hats, but they have all served a purpose like warmth or protection from the sun.  Not this little number.  Oh, no.  This little number has absolutely no function at all.  It is purely ornamental.  It is a work of art.  And even though I fell in love with it at first glance, it took me four days before I actually walked into the shop and tried it on.

Three gorgeous little hats were displayed in the window of a Day Spa in the hotel I was staying at in Tokyo.  Everyday on my way out, I stopped to admire them.  It wasn't Mimi's voice this time that urged me in, but Judith's from the blog Style Crone.  She is a collector of hats and each one is more beautiful than the next.  "What are you waiting for?" she whispered.  "GO."

It turned out to be a wonderful experience.  The young woman in the store told me these hats are hand made in Tokyo and each one is unique.  While I was deciding whether to blow the rest of my budget on this one item, we talked about my week.  When I told her I was going to Mt. Fuji the next day, she told me that every Japanese must climb this sacred mountain at least once.

"My father made me climb it with him ten years ago.  So I have climbed it once.  And I will never climb it again."  Then she laughed.  "It was so hard.  But, how do you say?  I had climbed to heaven."

Of course, I bought the hat.  This is one New Year's Resolution I am actually going to keep.




Sharing with my tribe at Hat Attack.  Thank you, Judith!

5 comments:

  1. You look lovely in this adorable hat, Marea! I can definitely understand this Japanese tradition, to climb at least once in one's life. :)

    Marea, I know you are a writer. I start a new link up for fiction writers this month. I would be honored if you participate! Read more here please - http://inthewriterscloset.blogspot.com/2015/05/crazy-just-might-work-i-am-writer.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalia. I will certainly check it out.

      Delete
  2. What a great decision to buy this hat because it also came with a great story - plus, it suits you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely little hat , that suits you so well. I imagine every time you wear it , memories of Japan and the young woman's story will return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so honored that my "hat voice" spoke to you, because this pillbox looks smashing on you! I love your resolution, and I think you're doing well with this resolve. I can't think of a better way to step out into the world. You put together the perfect ensemble for this beauty. Thank you so much for this post and for sharing with Hat Attack! I am very grateful!

    ReplyDelete