Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Jet Lag Drag

Jet Lag.  The bane of every long distance traveler.  The internet is saturated with how to cope with it.  Travel magazines publish strategies on a monthly basis.  So I apologize for adding yet another post to the pot.  My solution to this problem is so simple it sounds childish:  Don't fight it.  Sleep when your body wants to sleep.

It means, of course, your days and nights might be reversed for awhile, but that is so much more preferable than walking around like a zombie and not really seeing what you came here to see.   Allow yourself three days before starting that whirlwind tour.  Trust me, you'll be refreshed and happy.

I had this epiphany during my crazy one-week trip to Tokyo.  After my city tour that first day, I took a nap upon returning to my hotel.  It was 3 p.m.  I woke up in a pitch-black room, fully dressed, six hours later.  Oh, no.  What had I done?  It was now 9 p.m. and I was wide awake.  But, miracle of miracles, I had slept for a solid six hours.  I felt revitalized.

I opened the curtains to my room and spent the rest of the night reading, doing crosswords, ordering a very late night supper and watching the lights of Tokyo come on (and then off).  The international New York Times arrived at my door at five.  I made coffee and read the paper.  I was first in line at the breakfast buffet when it opened at six.

The next night, I fell asleep at 5 p.m.  The third night, 7 p.m. and finally the last two days I was in sync.  But during the day I had a great time.  I was full of energy and enjoyed my visit.  If I had been younger or a little braver, I might have gone out and enjoyed the Tokyo night life, but with these incredible views from my window, I felt no need to do so.  I had beat the Jet Lag Drag.



2 comments:

  1. Did you see the movie Lost in Translation? The woman can't sleep and goes to the bar where she meets a celebrity. But that would have ruined your trip! I love these morning skyline photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention that movie. While in Tokyo I had many "Lost in Translation" Moments.

    ReplyDelete