Sunday, March 8, 2015

My Opera Coat

I confess:  When I buy a piece of clothing my active imagination concocts a fantasy to go with it.  I found this black satin-lined coat at a local vintage store many years ago.  Oh, the places this coat would take me!  Opera under the stars in Santa Fe.  The ballet in San Francisco.  The Academy Awards (Sure, why not?)  The L'Avenue des Champs Elysees in Paris.

The reality, I'm afraid, is much less glamorous.  This beautiful old opera coat has seen the inside of a Starbucks once or twice.  It's been to a Christmas party at the Yacht Club, but mostly it gets worn on a dusty trail in the foothills behind Santa Barbara (over a pair of jeans and hiking boots).  But, alas, it has never seen an opera.  And probably never will.

Does it matter?  No, not really.  Because . . . because . . . oh, the places this coat will take me!






Happy Trails to everyone at Patti's Visible Monday!

5 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful coat... and maybe now it's up to you to take the coat to the opera? It really seems to want to go, and I'm sure it would thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful coat, and it's wonderful that you can wear it where ever you like! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful ode to this beautiful coat and you made me smile!
    I was just thinking about something I own that I love but it's a bit outdated. Then I thought to myself, "who cares, I love it!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the coat and the vision of all the places this coat could take you....whether real everyday life or through imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful coat , it will take you anywhere real or imagined. I find the joy of a special find is imagining the life it had with its previous owner.Enjoy this beauty .

    ReplyDelete