Saturday, March 7, 2015

Mimi Wears Yoshiki Hishinuma

I'm trying very hard not to think too much about my upcoming trip to Japan or else nothing gets done around here.  I can sit for hours with a stupid grin on my face, fantasizing about the neon lights of Ginza, warm sake and cherry blossoms in full bloom.  So I've put the trip on the back burner for now.  Can't say the same for Mimi.  Darn her!

"Is the Yohji Yamamoto flagship store on your list?  How about Undercover?  Uniglo?  And don't forget Hysteric Glamour?"

And this morning it was:  "You did see Ari's photos of those ladies in kimonos, right?  And you are going to buy one, right?"

Shiiiisshhh!!!

I had to shut her up somehow!  So I pulled out my eccentric Yoshiki Hishinuma skirt I picked up at a consignment store many years ago and put it on her.  I love this skirt!  I always get comments when I wear it.  I've even had people come up and ask me if they can touch it.  "Is that a snake?" one child asked me.

It worked.  Mimi is so in awe, she finally shut up!

Yoshiki Hishinuma worked as Issey Miyake's assistant during the 1970's after graduating from the esteemed Bunka College of Fashion in Japan.  He branched out on his own in the 90's and is known for his experiments with synthetic fabrics.  The above skirt was made by laminating strips of vinyl onto a polyester slip.

Yes, I will take Mimi's list with me, but the truth is, I want to explore a different area of Tokyo every day.  I want to be surprised.  I want to discover a new bright designer as wonderful as Hishinuma.

But I'm not going to think about it.  I'm grinning again.  Time to go wash some dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment