Friday, February 27, 2015

Saguaros

A Drive through Saguaro National Park





I don't need a sign to tell me that I have crossed the state line into Arizona.  It's uncanny how the landscape changes.  These tall tree-like cacti line the highway almost immediately.  Majestic.  Sculptural.  Iconic.  The saguaro is the definitive symbol of the American Southwest.

The closer we got to Tucson, the more of them we saw.  Veritable forests of them.  It's not that easy to pull over when you're on a busy freeway so that's why we took the time to drive through the Saguaro National Park where cactus oglers like me have plenty of space to pull over and take pictures.  Everyone is driving 25 mph.  We are a happy bunch of camera-toting tourists, let me tell you!

The saguaro is sacred to the citizens of this great state.  It can grow up to 70 ft. tall and live to be 100 years old.  It is illegal to harm one of these giants in any way.  People need permits to even move one.  Arizona has named the saguaro blossom its state wildflower.  These white and yellow flowers appear between April and June and are quite lovely.  The plant is home to a variety of birds--the most special being the tiny elf owl.

I love, love, love that Nowhere Else I'd Rather Be feeling and I had it during that late afternoon drive through Saguaro National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment