Sunday, February 22, 2015

On the Fringe

Jacumba, California, where these photographs were taken last week, is on the fringe of California.  It hugs the border between our state and Mexico.  That ghastly fence is only a few yards away, scarring the landscape with its serpentine sprawl.  It is one of the oddest, and yet most endearing places I have ever been.  Amid the ruins of old buildings from the 1920's like the bathhouse above, is the new Jacumba Hot Springs Hotel with its pool, sauna, hot tub and fabulous dining room.  But not much else!  We were definitely on the fringe of society (and loving every minute of it).  Ralph, our waiter, called me "Madame" and my travel buddy, "Monsieur".  He cooks, cleans, waits tables "and anything else that needs to be done around here."  

I laughed when I realized I was wearing my long blue sweater trimmed with fringe.  We could tell by the eccentric art installations around town and the colorful graffiti that this was a place for outsider artists, vagrants and misfits.

On the fringe of . . . . well, the ends of the earth!





Sharing with friends at Patti's Visible Monday.

9 comments:

  1. Love all of this! The coat is so great, and the shoes -- well, they are so cool too. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, you look fab. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm coming over to visit from Visible Monday. I was drawn to your hat. I love it's Southwestern flare; and then I saw your duster with the fringe and my heart went pitter-patter. You look great!
    Have a wonderful week,
    Glenda
    http://sowhattotwenty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that fringe cardigan! Great photo location! xo Andrea

    Boho Bunnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating place and what a cool place for pics. Love your fringe cardi!
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sandals - and the fringed cardigan - and the cuffed jeans. What a great look! And who doesn't love a good ruin for a photo shoot?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool cardigan! You do relaxed chic so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great outfit all of from your hat to your fringed long jacket to those great sandals.Great photos in such an interesting location.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Marea. Love that cardigan. Great location photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great outfit and photo location! It justifies my first impression that Greece and California look a lot the same. I come from Greece!

    ReplyDelete