Sunday, February 8, 2015

Dressing for Sunday Brunch

"Wow!  What's the occasion?" my travel buddy asked me this morning when I walked out of the bedroom in a dress.

"Sunday brunch," I said.

He looked down at his tattered jeans and Red Stripe t-shirt.  "Uh . . . should I change?"




I used to wear a dress two or three times a week at work.  No more.  Ever since I retired I seem to wear only jeans.  Last week I realized I had worn the same pair three days in a row.  What has happened to me?

I've gotten lazy, that's what.

There are a dozen dresses hanging in my closet that have not been touched for three years.  Like this dress I bought in the Czech Republic in 2011.  I love everything about it.  The shawl collar.  The soft knit material.  The pink ribbon down the back.  And it has pockets!
I gave myself a good scolding.  I love fashion.  I love dressing up, but I've also turned into a real homebody when I'm not traveling.  I'm either in the garden or in the kitchen.  Why bother dressing up?  Nobody dresses up in this laid-back beach town anyway.  Why should I?
Because I saw the look of appreciation in my husband's eyes.  (He changed clothes, by the way.)  But, more importantly, I felt good about myself.  Dressing with creativity and style always energizes me.  It is why I make an effort to link up with Patti's Visible Monday--to fight this Why Bother mentality and rejoin the world of fashion.  Not just every two weeks, but every single day.

10 comments:

  1. I can see why you love this dress, it's a beauty! Yes, reach for those pretty dresses any day of the week. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Love the fedora!
    OXOx
    Dawn Lucy
    http://fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful look on you - the fedora is the icing on the cake.
    Visiting from VM.
    http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com/2015/02/i-heart-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this pretty dress is just as easy, comfortable and laid-back as jeans, so you have no excuse to get lazy again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and elegant! This shawl collar of the dress is such an interesting detail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally know what you mean, I'M a lazy dresser during winter, too! This dress is amazing, and what a lovely scenery for the background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep wearing this dress,it looks so good on you, the colour, the shawl collar,everything about it .The fedora tops it all off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have my days.. I am mostly in jeans and tees but once in a while I step up a bit and surprise my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing beats that "look of appreciation"; it can coax out an added layer of sparkle. I love this dress too.You are so right. It's easy to slide but rediscovering the effect of throwing on beautiful things can't be beat. Oh, the hat, LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you definitely should dress up more, that dress looks so wonderful on you! I find that I feel just a bit more cheerful when I get dressed up! :)

    ReplyDelete