Sunday, December 21, 2014

Mimi Wears Toile

I lobbied hard to line my bathroom walls with black and white french toile wallpaper, but the men in my family vetoed that one.  "Too girly," they complained.  But when I brought this gorgeous red and white cashmere sweater home for the holidays, it was all thumbs up.  Mimi and I have been sharing it for the last couple of weeks.  Way better than those ugly Christmas sweaters that seem all the rage right now. (And I just don't get!)

French toile, I get.  It is romantic, nostalgic and just plain sweet.  This fabric originated in Ireland, actually, way back in the mid-18th century.  It was a factory in France, however, that popularized it with repetitive patterns of complex landscapes.  It has now seen a revival--not only in wallpaper and upholstery, but in fashion.  There are dresses, shorts, sweaters and even shoes made out of this delightful fabric.  Patterns now include safari scenes and modern city scenes.

Okay, I admit my boys are probably right.  I would have tired of the girly print for my home.  But this sweater?  Never.  It's going to be my go-to holiday sweater for many years to come.
 

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sweater!! I would wear it any day, and yes, it's perfect for this time of year as well. :) Thank you for the bits of history - I had no idea this design was created in Ireland, it's so strongly associated with France nowadays... It reminds me the history of Matryoshka. They are originated in Japan and were known as nesting monks figurines at first, but the whole world think of them exclusively as Russian nesting dolls (including us Russians :). Interesting twists in history. Happy holidays! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting about the nesting dolls. Thank you for sharing. It just so happens that I'm going to Japan in March. Can't wait. It's such a fascinating country

    ReplyDelete