Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Returning to Webster House

Although this old brick Romanesque building sits in the shadows of the illustrious Kauffman Center in Kansas City, Missouri, it can hold its own against the giant newcomer.  Once a public school in the 19th century, it was completely renovated in the 21st.  It now houses one of the best restaurants in the city.

My sister and I ate here before going to the ballet last month.  I had scallops and she had the mussels.  Weird, huh?  After all, Kansas City is known for its juicy steaks and spicy barbecue.  But, believe me, both dishes were delicious and light.  Just perfect!  As we walked down the stairs and through the rooms filled with fabulous clothes, shoes and hats, we realized that if we didn't leave NOW we were going to miss Alice in Wonderland.  "But . .  but . . . that hat!" I cried.  Sarah took me by the hand and pushed me out the door.  "We'll come back tomorrow."
And so we did.  This time we were not rushed.  The entire first floor is one spectacular shopping mall, filled with clothes, antiques and unusual gifts.  I, of course, went straight to the hat room and bought my fedora.  My sister pined over another pair of boots, but ended up buying a hat instead.

I love shopping but shopping in a beautiful old historic building enhances the experience even more.  If you find yourself in Kansas City, make sure you add this to your itinerary.  There's something here for everyone even the man in your life.  The food is great.  The bar is well stocked.  And the items for sale are all very special.

Thanks, sis, for taking me here.  Twice!

No comments:

Post a Comment