Monday, November 24, 2014

Mentors and Muses

Art in Public Places




This monumental sculpture won a Santa Barbara Beautiful Award in 2002.  It is actually a fountain so at its best, water cascades down the sidings, turning the bronze into shimmery black slabs.  Because of the severe drought, all water has been drained and it looks completely different.  In my opinion, it's still beautiful.  It overlooks the Pacific Ocean on the western campus of Santa Barbara's City College and on any given school day, it is surrounded by students.  Once upon a time, both my sons were among them.

But what I love best about this sculpture, is its name:  Mentors.  Mentors are so important in our lives.  If we are lucky we have several of them as we make our way through time.  At this college, each of my sons had a mentor who nudged them into their current professions.  I had a mentor in high school who nudged me into journalism.  Now I have Mimi.  She doesn't nudge; she PUSHES.  Everyday, she pushes me to be a little more creative in the way I dress.  Fashion has become an art form to me, as it has to many fellow bloggers.  That is why I am sharing this post today with Visible Monday and Share in Style.

I love art, music and literature, but can barely draw a stick figure, sing off tune and struggle with putting words together, but clothes?  Clothes have become a medium for artistic expression.  Does that make me an artist?  Mimi, my mentor and muse, says ABSOLUTELY.  I'm not so sure, but I'll indulge her only because I'm having so much fun!

 Me?  An artist?  Imagine that!
The sculptor of Mentors is Aris  Demetruis who was born and raised in Massachusetts.  His sculptures, both monumental and small, can be found across the country.  Some notes of interest:  His father studied under Rodin and his mother was the author and illustrator of many famous children's books including Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel.

I realize calling myself an artist is a stretch, but the truth is, such sculptures inspire me to think a little bit grander and a little bit outside the box.  Above all, great art instills in me a desire to surround myself with beauty each and every day of my ordinary life.
 

11 comments:

  1. Yes, of course you express your art in your personal style - and you have tons of it! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday and have a great week, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeos without water too. Great photoseries.
    Clothing is an art of abstraction. You are an artist.
    Have a nice week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect place for shooting... cool hat!

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photo shoot with your ensemble and all the different textures. Like your horizontal counterpoint the best. Thanks for stopping by Project Minima.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again Mimi! Thank you for my nice comment and I am glad my shoe clips made your day! What a pretty outfit- I do so like the hat and the sculpture is amazing-yes, I like your mentor philosophy!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genius fabulousness, dear Mimi.
    Thank you soooooooooooooo much for making the Share-in-Style family richer.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello again dear Mimi, please don´t forget to vote tomorrow for your favourite look tomorrow ( Rosy and I are not included in the voting. This is all about you all)
    Tons of kisses
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are every inch an artist with your own fabulous style as this outfit attests.
    The fountain is a very grand sculpture, I am sure just as good with or without water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Impressive artwork, and it matches your outfit so perfectly! Speaking of art... Barcelona is pne of my favourite destinations, it's such an amazing place, and the street art is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello you! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Wasn't it possible to use the google translator to read my blogpost? I suspect your son wasn't that happy that he had to translate a blog of onther "mum"???

    I like your outhift here. The contrast of male and female pieces is enthralling.
    Have a good time
    Sunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I'm still learning about these things!

      Delete