Sunday, November 9, 2014

Menswear

Two events occurred in 1977 that have defined my life:  My marriage and the release of Woody Allen's Annie Hall.  To the dismay of my young new husband, I adopted Diane Keaton's menswear style, hook, line and sinker.  I even took it one step further.  I cut my long hair.  Tweed blazers, trousers, fedoras and hiking boots became my attire of choice.  Androgynous.  Super cool.  Until, that is, I was mistaken for a man.

Maybe it was a good thing.  I started wearing red lipstick, earrings and high heels again.  My husband sighed with relief.  We're still married.  Even so, he's resigned to the fact that his closet is community property.

I've learned to tone down the Annie Hall look over the years.  Add a little yin to the yang.  I tell you, no one is going to mistake me for a man in these shoes!



Sharing with the very feminine Patti and friends at Visible Monday.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful menswear! I love the hat. Annie Hall was momentous for me too, and I still watch it about once a year. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love the hat!! BUT I am so in love with the shoes and the detailing. Oh how I wish I could wear heels. YOu look fab!
    from the link up,
    please stop by, jess xx
    http://www.elegantlydressedandstylish.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great relaxed look, a modern take on Annie Hall. The shoes are fabulous, but how do you walk in those??? I always try to find ways to wear flats with anything, walking in heels makes me cranky....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walk as far as a restaurant and then SIT!!!!

      Delete
  4. Annie Hall, the best muse. I love this style on you, especially with the peekaboo drama of the awesome heels. I laughed about your husband's reaction to the Annie look. I am always soft for menswear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what a great take on menswear! Those shoes totally make it all feminine!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    P.S. Hope you will stop by Thursday and join TBT Fashion link up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm shocked anyone would ever take you for a guy. Must have been very sight-impared. I'm always taken with gamine looks ... very hard to do when you're as round-firm-and-fully-packed as I am, but you look fabulous in you boy-clothes!

    ReplyDelete