Friday, October 17, 2014

Lahaina's Banyan Tree

"I think your blog is more about searching for beautiful trees . . . not beautiful clothes," my travel buddy commented when I insisted we drive to Lahaina to see this tree.

I didn't contradict him.  I mean I love clothes, but yeah, I love trees, too.  Especially these big burly over the top ones.  In the past couple of years I've dragged him to redwood groves, sequoia forests and ancient bristlecone pines in the middle of nowhere, but this one?  Oh brother!  This one is unreal!!

For one thing, it is the largest banyan tree in the United States.  Besides its central trunk, there are now sixteen other ones all supporting a canopy that extends over an entire acre.  These trunks were all formed from aerial roots and looking up, there are zillions more just waiting to make landfall.  They twist, turn and wrap around each other in an organic web of intricacy.

Planted in 1873 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first protestant mission on the island of Maui, it is now home to thousands of mynah birds.  Be forewarned.  At sunset, do not sit under this tree!   From a bar across the street (It was Happy Hour!) we watched as thousands of these birds, one by one, flew back to roost for the night.  The noise was deafening!  But absolutely magical.  And that, I reminded my buddy, is what this blog is really about!  Magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment