Thursday, August 21, 2014

City Sea Lions

"Are we going to be able to do this when I retire?"

This is a question my travel buddy keeps pondering more and more, especially when we are on one of our extra long weekend road trips and just spent $75 for lunch!

My answer:  "Yes, of course."  Cough.  Cough.  "And no."

Yes, we can still travel.  No, we can't eat at expensive restaurants.  And what, you may ask, does this have to do with sea lions?  Well, after that expensive lunch, we walked down the Santa Cruz wharf and came across this group of sleepy, lazy, adorable sea lions lounging on the dock below us.  It turned out to be the highlight of the day!  We spent an hour watching them, taking pictures, laughing and talking to fellow travelers who were equally delighted with seeing sea lions right there in the middle of the city.  All for free!

We could have split a deli sandwich and been equally as happy.

I realize the focus of this blog may change drastically when we are both truly retired.  Once we rent out our house and throw on those backpacks, I will no longer be shopping at cute little boutiques.  I won't be buying clothes.  Period.  Mimi will be in storage along with my umpteen boxes of shoes, dresses and jackets.  My search for magical moments won't change, however.  In fact, it will intensify.  The viewing of wildlife, whether in a city or in an isolated canyon, will keep me busy (and happy) for the next decade.  I'll learn to sleep in a tent again or a bunk bed in a hostel.  I will walk or take public transportation.  I will picnic.  I will live in jeans and hiking boots.  I will watch sunsets, pick wildflowers and watch sea lions.  All for free!



1 comment:

  1. I'm much younger than you, but I do have the same thoughts when I think about retirement - or even unemployment. There are so many ways to be happy without money and that's really a good thing. I love spending money on clothes but it is not that important to me than being happy and making the best and most out of everything. thanks for that post.

    ReplyDelete