Monday, July 7, 2014

Post Vacation Blues

I'm grounded for the rest of the summer for various reasons so I've found myself traveling vicariously through reading travel memoirs.   A favorite one, so far,  has been To Timbuktu for a Haircut by Rick Antonson.  I wrote down the following quote in my diary and it has kept me from falling into a deep dark funk.

True travellers . . . find any landscape of interest, passingly so, perhaps, but still of interest.  One may develop preferences and value some spaces more than others, yet every place, journey, and view holds potential.  And there is never a more real landscape than the one where you stand.  All else is memory, imagination, or a cobbled-together expectation of what might be.
So no more mountains, Roman ruins or fun-filled crazy city streets for awhile, but you know what?  The view from my own backyard is pretty darn good!

No comments:

Post a Comment