Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Disney Hall Aerial Pathway

Urban hikes.  Lately, it's become my thing.  And one of the best is a hike down Grand Avenue in downtown Los Angeles with a detour up and around the architectural wonder of the Walt Disney Concert Hall.  It's a mountain of curvaceous stainless steel that can send amateur photographers like me into a complete and utter state of rapture.  Designed by Frank Gehry and opened in 2003 as the new home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, it is a "must see" (and a "must climb") for anyone visiting this city.  The walkway is free and opened to the public.

If you go early you'll have the mountain all to yourself.  I didn't meet another soul until I descended into the garden around the back.  I watched a man doing tai chi for awhile.  His movements seemed to flow with the curves of the walls.  He seemed so at peace.  And so was I.



No comments:

Post a Comment