Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The World of Ricardo Breceda


Chased by dinosaurs.  Attacked by saber tooth tigers.  Trampled by giant mammoths and eaten alive by a 350 ft. sand serpent.  Do I dare get out of the van?

  The desert surrounding Borrego Springs, California, is crawling with giant metal creatures. These rusty monsters are so lifelike, my skin tingled as I drove slowly passed them last Saturday.   My dreams that night plunged me into a dangerous landscape more than a million years ago.  Welcome to the wonderful world of Ricardo Breceda.

  This extremely talented sculptor from Durango, Mexico, began this project after seeing Jurassic Park III.  Although inspired by dinosaurs, fossils found in the Anza-Borrego desert led him to create creatures that actually lived here when this land was covered with forests, lakes and meadows. It is a world we can only imagine, but believe me, these metal sculptures bring this prehistoric era to life.

Breceda now lives and works in Temecula, California.   Although there are already more than a hundred of these sculptures strewn across the desert, I have a hunch we're going to see a hundred more before this visionary is done.

I hope so!



No comments:

Post a Comment