Sunday, February 23, 2014

Yama Mama Style

I love, love, love the street fashion blogs from Japan.  The Mori Girls.  Gothic Lolitas.  Cosplayers.  Punks.  I tell you, these girls take fashion SERIOUSLY.  Four years ago, I discovered the Yama Girls.  These girls are Japanese fashionistas who happen to love hiking and camping and anything to do with the great outdoors.   (Yama means mountain in Japanese.)  But instead of wearing khaki pants and black fleece jackets, they wear colorful leggings under hiking skirts or shorts.   They lace neon pink laces into their sturdy boots and off they go, up Mount Fuji, cute as the dickens.  I decided to adopt their style.

Now,  I know, I know . . . . when you're pushing sixty, you can hardly call yourself a "girl", but "mama" works.  So that's me.  A Yama Mama.  And even if the trend is fading in Japan, I'm making this style my own.  Who says you have to wear ugly clothes when you're in the wilderness?  Not me.


Sharing this post with fellow fashion lovers at Patti's ever wonderful Visible Monday.  I have a hunch there's a few Yama Mamas among this group, too!  If you haven't discovered the blog, Not Dead Yet Style, come on over.   You're in for a real treat.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, we have a lot of Yama Mama's in our group! You look fab - sporty and chic at the same time. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! I'll be a Yama-mama too next time I hike or enjoy the outdoors. I rarely wear those hiking things anyway other than the boots or proper hiking shoes. Love your skirt and leggings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on! I love this idea. And I love Japanese fashion as well. Anything goes, especially in Tokyo. Your take on the yama mama is inspired. Happy trails. I found you at Patti's place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that yama mama! I love Japanese fashion too - I base my styling ideas on Japanese fashion, so much fun, never boring

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, thanks for sharing, I love hearing about street style across the world. Love your photos and look. Found you over at Patti's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the inspiration, and more your interpretation ... sort of Classy Yama Mama. The other wonderful and more sophisticated pieces make it a perfect look. Ya done good, kid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Informative and fashionable— Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I'll have to check out the Yama Girls … and yeah, Yama Mama sounds good! Love your hiking look!

    ReplyDelete