Friday, February 21, 2014

Mimi Wears Mount Fuji

I have a file next to my bed labeled "Future Trips" and I've noticed most of the articles I have stuffed in there are destinations in Japan.  I keep toying with the idea of doing one of those quickie jaunts to Tokyo out of L.A. because they're affordable, but I resist.  Do I really want to fly half way around the world to stay for only five days?  Sure, I would love to see the Tsukiji Fish Market, the Imperial Palace and shop in Harajuku, but I also want to see so much more.  Like the 2,000 year old Jomon sugi trees, the snow monkeys, the Buddhas carved into cliffs, ancient temples.  But most of all--I want to climb Mt. Fuji.

Because this iconic mountain is only 60 miles south of Tokyo, I probably could fulfill my dream on one of these quickie trips.  It's such a perfectly shaped mountain and very climbable.  In fact, it is the most climbed mountain in the world.  More than 100,000 people reach its summit every year.  The best time to do so is in July or August when the weather is nice and the snow has melted.  It takes about 8-12 hours to climb.  Most people take a bus half way up and then start from there.  There are stations along the way to get a bite to eat or even spend the night, if needed.

The mountain has only recently been added to the World Heritage Site list, which baffles me.  Why did they take so long?  (Then again, why am I?)

Oh, well, until I do . . . there's always sushi!






Note Added Later:  Thank you to Roberta who commented below.  I took her advice and flew to Tokyo in March 2015 and finally fulfilled my dream of seeing Mt. Fuji!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I did this climb and saw the sunrise from the top of Fugi. Fugi makes you wise..... wise enough to do this only once! It was worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You timed your climb perfectly. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the thing...will you never go? Can't you go more than once since the trips are so affordable. I finally made it to the UK but realized immediately that I would have to return because there is so much to see. Hoping to return very other year for the next 5-6 years to include all the sites to want to see and throw in a day visit to Paris. Don't wait! Go more than once!

    ReplyDelete