Monday, February 10, 2014

Madonna in the Tree

Art in Public Places



Traveling solo has its advantages.  While exploring Old Town Albuquerque early one morning with my camera, a restaurant owner came out and asked me if I'd seen the Madonna in the Tree.  I shook my head.  "Follow me," he said, and he took me through an ugly parking lot across the street and showed me this amazing site.  I would have missed it entirely.

On this particular trip, I noticed that people seemed unusually friendly and it finally struck me.  I was alone.  My taxi driver, on route to my hotel, turned off his meter and took me on a mini-tour of Old Town.  A waitress refused to charge me for a glass of  iced tea.  Don't get me wrong.  I love traveling with my buddy but people don't approach me when I am with him.  Men, especially.

It gave me the confidence to do this again.  I am not invisible, after all.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment