Saturday, November 16, 2013

Nights at the Gamboa

The minute I stepped out onto the balcony and saw the gorgeous view, I decided there was no place on earth I'd rather be.  I mean really . . . with toucans and parrots flying by, capybaras snoozing underneath the trees and a wide expanse of lush rain forest with wispy floaty clouds drifting by, does it get much better?   I remained in that hammock for the next two days.

The Gamboa Rainforest Resort is located on the Chagres River.  It is a lovely site and as noted, a perfect place to recharge your batteries after touring Panama City and the canal.  There is really no need to go anywhere.  There are hiking trails, boat rides, wildlife safari trips, a butterfly house, observation tower and an aerial tram.  Our favorite activity was the night safari.  Our guide drove us through the area with a powerful spotlight and we saw an amazing assortment of animals:  a sloth, a paca (quite rare), an agouti, an armadillo, a racoonlike coati and more capybaras.

Of course, there is a great bar (another favorite place) overlooking the forest and the river, three restaurants and a gorgeous pool.  With my batteries recharged, it was time to leave, but I tell you . . .I could have stayed here for the entire rest of the trip and been perfectly happy!
 
Capybaras


No comments:

Post a Comment